Home / Leisure Jobs / Job profiles / Fitness instructor / Training
Training for a fitness instructor
Where do you turn when you need information on fitness instructor training? The first place to visit is the REPS (the Register of Exercise Professionals) website.
REPS are the governing body responsible for safeguarding the health and interests of both clients and trainers in the fitness industry, and all fitness instructor training and qualifications need to be recognized by REPS in order to be of any value to you.
The basic requirement for working in the industry is a REPS Level 2 certificate. The main qualifications for this include:
Once you have gained some experience you can start looking at more advanced qualifications. REPS Level 3 Advanced Instructor qualifications will allow you to really start building a career, and are available through various providers.
- Central YMCA Qualifications (CYQ) Certificate in Fitness Instructing (gym, exercise to music and aqua)
- OCR Certificate in Teaching Exercise and Fitness (exercise to music, gym, and aqua)
- Active IQ Certificate in Gym Instructing
Since the end of 2007, REPS has begun to offer the new Level 4 Specialist Exercise Instructor, which allows you to work with those with:
For more information on all of these possibilities, visit the REPS website.
- Obesity and diabetes patients
- Older adults with a history of falls
- Those with mental health problems
- People recovering from a stroke
- Heart disease patients
- People suffering from low back pain